I am still on hiatus from email, social media, and the internet, but Happy New Year! 2021 was tedious, joyous, terrifying, fun, productive, and exhausting. I did get a lot done….
- I finished 65,000 words for a project for Petersen Games.
- I finished a draft of The American Tour: 95,000 words that is, perhaps even as you read this, being winnowed down to 75,000 words.
- I wrote “Ratatoskr,” a short story for an online magazine. I hope they actually publish it! Eventually I will bring it back home and sell it to someone else.
- I finished a draft of a story that at the moment is called “Seven Sphinxes and 100 Questions,” though it only has one Sphinx and many more than a hundred questions.
- I saw two flash pieces published in the North American Review, “Courier” and “Eight Kinds of Tentacle Love.”
- I sold two books into Turkish publishers, and various small presses.
- I was accepted into the Royal Society of Arts.
- With Barbara, I taught a two-week intensive novel-writing workshop in a format new to us, and hosted an online Repeat Offenders. This got me back into the sort of teaching I like best.
- People. I saw my mom, eventually. I saw my brother, I saw Barbara. I was able to see my local friends , as well.
- I applied for fellowships I didn’t get, but was accepted to a residency in Iceland which is less money but very pleasant (in prospect; I am writing this before I leave).
- I got through yet another year at KU.
- I got moderately good news about future plans: I will be able to retire some day, instead of working until I die, as I had always expected.
Plans for 2022:
- Submit final of The American Tour to the publisher.
- Submit final of second short story collection to the publisher.
- Appearances: Broward College and West Virginia University so far.
- I’ll be applying for promotion to full professor.
- Barbara and I will be teaching summer workshops again this year!
- Some new short stories, I hope! I am contracted for two, and there are two others I would like to work on.